Six Tips For Effective Media Buying
In the past, if you wanted to do a media buy you had a choice of TV, radio and print. In the past, you were limited with what you could do with your buy. In the past, you had to play it safe. That’s no longer true. The evolution of media has spawned a multitude of advertising options and sometimes, it can be a struggle to keep up. Now you have online, email, mobile, apps, tablets, and more to choose from.
With so many choices, you have to take a step back and focus on some basic guidelines that will help you be successful. To help with this, we’ve created a list of basic tips (because often, basic tips are the most effective, yet the most overlooked) to keep in mind.
- Have a full understanding of your target audience’s media habits and how they consume media. You’ll also have to take into account that your target will most likely have multiple devices and ways to consume media.
- Work closely with creatives, as this can help shape the direction of a media campaign.
- Approach the media strategy and process with a creative mindset. Media has evolved into more than just placing an insertion, it now has the ability to create engaging media opportunities.
- Consider how each media tactic will be measured. The ability to measure the performance of a campaign is key.
- Check your ego at the door. If an initial media recommendation is not working, you have to be willing, ready, and able to modify a media campaign on the fly
- Keep learning! The media landscape is continuously changing and evolving. In order to stay relevant and keep our clients on the cutting edge, you have to keep learning.
Senior VP/Media Services, Michael Pierre, compiled this list. Pierre is a results-proven media and marketing professional with over 15 years of experience in both traditional and digital media.